Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sarawak: Pinoy Fame in Malaysia

When the female Malaysians i met learned that I am Filipino, they almost always squealed with delight.

"Oooh, I love Kristine Hermosa. Do you know Jericho Rosales? And, how do you say, 'Deet? Dayet? Diether Ocampo'? "

Imagine my surprise. 


The Filipino soap "Sana'y Wala Nang Wakas" hit the Malaysian TV sets and the ladies are going berserk! I never knew they were that famous in Malaysia--and in all states: Peninsular, Sarawak, specially Sabah!

Aside from the soaps, Freddie Aguilar's "Anak" is topping the charts when it comes to popularity among locals. Apparently, the word anak also means "child" in Bahasa Malaysia ;)

Get this:

I went to Bako National Park, an island away from the city to go jungle trekking, monkey-spotting, bird-watching, and I was astonished that one of the staff there actually has an mp3 of that song stored in his office desktop! Sensing their fondness of it, I offered to teach them the song--get the lyrics and translate it for them.

my thrilled students Lihos and Salmah

@--->--------
original journal entry written in 2007.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...